On July 13, 2023, Google announced new features for the AI-powered chat service, Google Bard. Since its launch in February 2023, this platform has amassed over 140 million active users. While ChatGPT still leads the race in overall traffic, this latest Google Bard update will likely catch the attention of online marketers, content writers, and casual internet users. Curious about Google Bard vs. ChatGPT? Here’s what to know about the July 2023 update—and how this technology compares to other AI software.
What Is Google Bard?
Google Bard is an online chatbot that uses machine learning to answer search queries in a conversational format, simulating natural human speech. Not only does it complement Google searches, but it can integrate into websites and messenger platforms. Google Bard runs on a generative AI software called PaLM 2, allowing it to perform intuitive functions based on the following criteria:
- Multilingual: PaLM 2 can automatically process, translate, and answer queries in many languages (even those with heavily nuanced text, such as idioms or other culturally specific references).
- Reasoning: PaLM 2’s foundations come from a comprehensive dataset, which taught it to apply mathematical equations and common sense reasoning. This structure produces accurate, logical answers to complex queries.
Google Bard vs. ChatGPT
If you’re familiar with other AI chat services and marketing solutions, you might have questions about what makes Google Bard unique. These platforms are similar because both rely on machine learning to decipher a search query and generate a conversational response. But one key distinction sets Google Bard apart from ChatGPT: data sources.
- Google Bard Data Sources: This platform trains on Infinitset, a continuous digital content stream across the open internet. This process allows it to crawl Google search results and scan the entire web in real time to find the most current and relevant answers, which makes Google Bard an excellent research engine.
- ChatGPT Data Sources: This platform also relies on massive datasets across the open internet. But unlike Google Bard, these data sources only contain information up to 2021. This limitation impacts ChatGPT’s knowledge of new events or research, making it more effective as a text generator or content ideation tool.
Google Bard’s July 2023 Update
Given all these exciting new advancements, Google projects this AI technology to reach 1 billion global users by the end of 2023. So, here’s a rundown of what you can expect to see from Google Bard’s July 2023 update:
- Accessibility for More Countries and Languages: Google Bard is now available in over 230 nations and territories. It can also recognize over 40 languages, from Croatian and Swahili to Hebrew and Vietnamese.
- Customizable Responses in Multimodal Formats: Google Bard can churn out audio, visual, or text-based answers. You can also adjust the tone or style of a response using filters like simple, long, short, casual, and professional.
- Features to Boost Collaboration and Productivity: Google Bard lets you organize information to streamline productivity. You can name and pin conversations to refer back to later, upload images in search queries, respond to other users via shareable links, and export code to other web platforms.
Use Google Bard (and Other AI Tools) in Your Marketing Plan
Do you want to learn more about Google Bard vs. ChatGPT and how these and other AI software programs can scale your online marketing efforts? Contact our team of specialists at 10xDigital. We’ll help you leverage these tools to produce quality content, automate workflow, and perform other critical functions to optimize your brand’s success.